View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Potential Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The fundamental problem is that damage and weight are on completely different scales.
My system is scaling things based simply on energy, with no direct consideration for damage. The "1 lb = 100 kJ" figure is based off of Create, where matter is created as 10*(level squared) lb, while energy is 1000*(level squared) kJ.

I'm curious, however, as to how you came to your table. At first it looks like you're assuming an REF .0028 or so explosive for the 10 lb -> 2d figure (consistent with 0 energy for a 2d external explosive), but in that case 1,000 lb of it would do 20d damage, not 10d.
(EDIT: Upon a second review, it looks like you're more-or-less scaling things as +1 SSR to damage per +3 SSR to weight, which would be consistent with scaling explosive damage to the cube root of weight instead of the square root. Is that the case here?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Separately from that, your 100 kJ figure is seriously high. My numbers mean that a 1 lb unliving object (4 hp) needs to be moving at 25 yards per second for the correct damage. That's an energy of 118J (not kJ).
Crap, for some reason I was thinking kg*m/s2 was kJ, not J. I'll update my post shortly.
(EDIT: Updated)

Last edited by Varyon; 01-31-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote