View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
tbeard1999

Default Re: Examining "Once Per Day" in TFT: Solution or Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
It's a lot of detail to make a labyrinth that *real*, but that's what I personally am really into. And when I "GM", I referee; meaning "what's good for the goose is good for the gander", and *all* rules apply to everyone (every creature) equally. So, if I was using Ty's fatigue rules, yes, I would - as a fair and impartial Referee - wear the Monsters, Beasts, and Labyrinth Enemies down as equally as I would the adventure party.
JK
Bah. If you want fair, go here https://bigtex.com/ .

A maze of expensive tunnels and rooms filled with fantastic monsters, nefarious traps and obscene amounts of treasure can hardly be expected to operate by natural laws. Heck, my dungeons even have vending machines for potions, their fronts emblazoned with these mysterious, fiery eldritch runes - TOM'S. And these smaller, even more sinister runes - SNACKS.

http://static.sites.yp.com/var/m_5/5...eet_Devine.jpg

Kidding aside, my campaign worlds tend to be logical and detailed. As a long time wargamer, I can typically tell you how each Imperial Legion is equipped and organized, etc., and diagram the epic battles that shaped the realm. Of course no one cares.

But I consider dungeons to be magical constructs that result from a "whirlpool" of chaos in a particular area. No one knows if they're teleported from somewhere else or if they're created on the spot. Some are probably summoned and some are probably djinned up on the spot.

Wizards do theorize that chaos is like a fast flowing river. When large whirlpools form, a dungeon or other magical structure usually appears. When the whirlpools dissipate, the dungeons sometimes remain (but not always). Those dungeons would then be subject to normal laws of nature and ultimately turn into the "logical" dungeons like you create or like Tollenkar's Lair.

More scientifically minded individuals theorize that the world is occasionally struck by meteors that emanate chaos. This chaos "radiation" twists and distorts matter around it. Eventually, the amount of chaos decreases.

That explanation certainly seems reasonable in the case of the Crater of the Doomstar, which contains the Dreaded Dungeon of Dreaded Doom ("Abandon all hope, ye who enter" helpfully engraved in its front door in Common, Dwarvish and English and "Help Wanted, Short Hours, High Pay. Inquire Within” engraved in Orcish) that lies about a weeks ride east of Port Loren

Other dungeons result from long-buried meteors, according to the theories.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 06-13-2018 at 07:48 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote