View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #13
Skarg

Default Re: Another Approach to Spell/Talent Cost

Hi larsdangly,

I get your concept. However, while I don't think it materially affects what you're saying, I think you greatly overstated this detail:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
1) If a 'typical' experienced hero has 10-15 talents, the game will start to take on the complexity of GURPS, which I think everyone agrees would damage TFT's unique feel.
* I think that number is off. My old TFT campaign's experienced non-wizard heroes, let's see ... while some of them only had 5 to 8 talents, quite a few did have 10 - 12 talents. As I cranked out NPCs trying to make them interesting, I often gave them higher IQ mainly so they could have a few interesting talents, even though I didn't like having to give them that high an IQ. Practically every character I fully made out to be an interesting person rather than just a soldier or non-hero was topping out their IQ and wishing they could have a few more talents. PCs were going to the wizard's guild so they could learn new talents, sadly erasing interesting abilities from previous phases of their adventures.

* 10 - 15 talents for an experienced interesting person in no way seems complex or excessive to me. In fact, I think it's needed to have characters who are both quite skilled AND also have some room for individual background/hobbies/whatever.

* The complexity of GURPS is hardly just the difference of possibly having 5-10 more talents on some experienced characters.

* I actually don't mind adding some more complexity to TFT at all, especially if it extends in interestingness of higher-level play without making basic starting situations more complex. In fact, the reasons I and my friends stopped playing TFT and lovingly embraced GURPS was because we had played TFT to the point we knew it every which way, and were grasping for ways to make it interesting and satisfying, particularly with more developed characters.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote