View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #443
swordtart

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Here's a pic of CBs in a test operation -- note they detonate well above ground: http://www.army-technology.com/wp-co...-DoD-large.jpg -- the detonation expands spherically; so if one goes off above a trench, a berm is not going to help

Ah, yes -- that old argument. I suppose one could add Proximity Fusing if one assumes CBs are ground-contact; but I don't subscribe to that. (I figure a large part of the expense and loss-of-damage-potential for CBs is that they *don't* detonate on-contact, but have to scatter bomblets from on-high.)

As to Scatter: That's why there's a guidance package on the bombs -- as Billy Connolly put it, "Bomb-O-Gram". (Believe it or not: This is the result of a rather spectacular T-H failure -- uncorked a CB1500 from a mile up at 300MPH, and rolled a perfect 2. After that, guidance packages became standard-operating-procedure.)

IRSS v. Thermograph: Annoyingly, T-G is Military-Only, which is why I left it off; this would be a heck of a surprise to my local outdoor-supply stores, who have man-portable thermographs in stock. (How times change....)
I'll have to take this as one chunk as it takes too long to strip out each sub-para.

Clearly the bomblets are released above the ground, it is whether they detonate in the air (and therefore need some clever fusing) or are simply impact fused (which is the default for all other bombs). Different weapons do it differently, they are all "CBs", but work differently. I can see the example in your picture would send fragments in all directions but can that be adequately represented by the CW implementation. What do the 2d6 in 3" radius of a CB150 represent. 2 x 1d6 (and thus potentially wholly negated by 6 points of metal) or 2d6 as a single chunk and thus only able to damage a single component of a motorcycle? CW needs more granularity if CBs are to be treated that way (in effect a number of air burst munitions). There is absolutely nothing that implies that CB sub-munitions are air burst. If you choose to think of them as that in your game, it is of course between you and your opponent to agree. I'd prefer a better weapon description but it maybe that CS wasn't too bothered.

Not sure what you meant by your scatter comment. Guidance doesn't prevent scatter (in CW) it just reduces the effect of it by increasing your chance to
hit.

I wouldn't prevent anyone from using a thermograph if they were willing to pay. Much of the "military only" is clearly nonsense. IMG maybe, but some of this stuff isn't even military surplus, it's basic sporting goods (telescopic sight for example).

Last edited by swordtart; 06-16-2019 at 04:01 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote