Thread: Kickstarter!
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #30
tbeard1999

Default Re: Kickstarter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Though I agree that if Steve just provided printable insert PDFs for the panels, that would be fine for me personally -- I have one of the plastic folders for that sort of thing (that I picked up in another Kickstarter -- I think it was Barrowmaze), and I'm pretty happy with it. Plus, since it has insert pockets on the player's side (intended, no doubt, for evocative art) I would be able to put a lot of player info on that side!
Yeah, I’ve become a big fan of these (I can’t believe we didn’t think of those in the 80s). I especially like the ability to easily customize the screen.

Quote:
If you've played TFT before, I can't see any major changes being discussed that would hamper you playing the new edition pretty much out of the box. As Ty said, the biggest change seems to be to Experience Points, and frankly it was a change a lot of us had already made to a greater or lesser extent in our various house-rule variants, so it's not totally outside expectations. Still, you can read it in the Experience Thread (here), and see what you think. Your ideas and comments would be very welcome, too!
I’m actually jazzed to see what the new TFT ultimately looks like. It was a wonderful product, flawed by sloppy presentation, a lack of support and of course the complete alienation of the designer via litigation. I’m sure there are two sides to the story, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Steve was far and away the most talented of Metagaming’s designers. (You might get luck and produce Ogre OR TFT...but no one is lucky enough to create both by accident). It was a pity that they couldn’t stay together.

I suspect that Steve had a particular vision for TFT that was largely unrealized by Metagaming; it will be fun to see how he realizes it now. I’m also genuinely interested to see how it does in the modern RPG market. Maybe I’m overly optimistic, but I think it might do very well.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 06-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote