View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #66
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Question on 'Ramming'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It does? I honestly don't understand where this intepretation is coming from, 6.06 doesn't even use the word "twice" or suggest a limit. The two rams limit given elsewhere is explicitly a limit on rams, so there's no reason to expect it to apply to the explicitly not-ramming of infantry in another section of the rules entirely.
Of course it doesn't use the word twice...that's why I said it's implied.
The fact there is a limit of two elsewhere in the ramming rules, which this rule is couched in, is all the more reason it should be clarified with crystal clarity.

In the rule:

An Ogre/SHVY in a hex with infantry may expend a movement point, stay in the same hex, and reduce the infantry again. When all its AP weapons are gone, an Ogre/SHVY can no longer reduce infantry in this way.

It states the OGRE can move into the same hex and reduce the infantry again(.) That's a two times limit being implied when considering the limit elsewhere in the ramming rules. Then it ends the rule with stating when all it's AP guns are gone, it can't reduce infantry anymore. Well, obviously, if it doesn't have AP weapons left, it could't reduce infantry anymore. Also, the OGRE would not loose any AP when reducing infantry this way. If anything, that is a redundant rule statement, but it's one that Imho should be there for clarity. This leaves the question of how many times can a OGRE reduce infantry this way because it does not mention movement as the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This seems like a thing that confused some people, but not many, which makes it a FAQ rather than an erratum, IMO.
So, if "some" people lets estimate = 25% of the OGRE player base, who are confused and 75% are not is that acceptable?

It's those "some" people that will shy away from OGRE because the rules are not clear for them, or they won't play it as much or be inclined to teach it as much. If we want more OGRE players we should strive to be more inclusive of it's player base, regardless of our own personal grasp on the rules.
What about the new player reading the rules for the first time having FAQs? How much less likely are they to take a shine to the game and want to play and teach it?

The OGRE rules are written in a very legal format. This is not always conducive to understanding by the widest possible readership (read as Player base).
I suggest a companion rules set for OGRE be written that can be understood by the laymen. (Read as player base that have FAQs and new players).

Call it The IDIOT'S GUIDE TO OGRE...but seriously folks...

I recall it being discussed during the 2012 KS about if the rules should be rewritten or kept in the same format. It was decided to be kept as is. That tells me there was concern about the rules not being as accessible as they could be. That is not a bad thing. What is a bad thing is when you have a portion of the player base having issues with understanding the rules as "some" clearly do. This will continue until new rules are written that compliment the already existing rules and how they are formatted. This new rebooting of the rules can coexist beside the rules we currently have.

This would make for a nice submission to The OGREzine...Challenge accepted. ;)