View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #17
Icelander

Default Re: Fine (Accurate) military rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I have shot couple of accurised AR15 type rifles and found the accuracy to be very much dependent of having the correct ammo, the extra accuracy is definitely not seen with cheap ammo. Further a normal good quality heavy barrel AR15 type rifle is already much more accurate than a normal run of the mill AR15. And the low granularity of the Accuracy system does not make such determinations easy.

I have not shot a Mk 12 SPR, but from what I have read about it, a lot of the extra accuracy comes from the special ammo combined with rifle long barrel. Also it should be noted that the fact that it is more accurate is mostly seen against M4 carbines that have only acc 4.

So my semi-informed guess would make the MK 12 normal (not fine accurate), but acc 5 because of the fairly long barrel, but would make the special ammo to be match ammo. Thus giving the combination accuracy 6 with that ammo, but less if shooting normal ammo.
That sounds fair enough.

What about the Mk 20 SSR, a FN SCAR-H with a longer receiver, different 20" barrel than the SCAR-H (Long), new trigger and a precision stock? From the description, it sounds like it warrants Fine (Accurate), but the same concern applies, i.e. that there are actual sniper rifles that are even more accurate that still receive only Acc 6 in GURPS.

In this case, however, I'm inclined to err on the side of Acc 6, as the Mk 20 SSR appears closer to the SR-25 than anything else.