View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Gnomasz

Default Re: Non-combat encounter ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In my last fantasy campaign, one of the players' favorite "dungeons" involved no monsters or fighting. It was the leftover training facility of a long-forgotten cabal of assassins, designed to challenge the alertness, athleticism, and technical skills of would-be members, confirming their ability to spot and evade security measures, both mundane and magical. The critical path involved dealing with locked portals, secret and concealed doors, obvious obstacles (walls to climb, pits to cross, swinging blades to dodge, etc.), unobvious traps, and "tricks" that could be solved using unusual skills rather than by asking the players to think like 400-point heroes. There were also dead-ends and secondary routes, equally full of challenges.
A Pyramid article on this, maybe? I've always loved platform games and I've tried building an adventure around moving around a place, but I got stuck feeling it would just be a series of not very meaningful rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That and DF: Wilderness Adventures are just treasure troves of great non-combat adventure. They smack that goal right on the nose (to inappropriately toss in a combat metaphor for no reason). Together, they'll make near any GM say "forget the dungeon; we're doing nature tonight."
Any suggestion on how to make camping decisions something to actually think about? I love the idea of having to choose between comfort, concealment and LoS, but I couldn't create a situation where a player actually wonders which is a good decision, it turns out more like "I guess I'll take comfort and concealment".