Default Re: forest dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Trails that change.
Magic Water: springs and streams
Monsters disguised as trees.
Vermin: Disgusting little creatures.
Fog or steam, depending on the latitude
Yep! Evergreen always wins!! XD Fog and arboreal monsters are my favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Check out the article "In the Jungle."
Thanks, i'll take a look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Since you're talking about being off by degrees and "simple trig," you're clearly not afraid of some system crunching.
I love going deep into the rules :D

Quote:
You must accumulate XX (50? 100? how long do you want this to go on?) total success in an extended, unopposed contest of navigation (land).
That's a really good tip! I guess one roll per day will slow down too much, maybe every 3 hours (circa 3 per day) could be a good compromise

Quote:
Concurrent with each roll on navigation, there will be a roll of survival (woodlands) as well which will determine a random encounter on this chart. Depending on the margin of success/failure and the roll made behind the screen, it could be a skittish deer, or an overwhelming force of orks.

The players may take up to a -6 on navigation or survival. Each -2 grants a +1 to the other roll. This represents the characters decision to take a more direct or cautious route.

I recommend successes move them to safer columns and failures move them to more dangerous columns. That is, if they are in a "dangerous area" a success keeps them there, a good success moves them to "slightly dangerous" and a failure moves them to "very dangerous."
This is a great idea too, especially the -2/+1 mechanic. Using both navigation and survival is a great way to determine encounters! Really good point! Will be funny creating a monsters related chart.
I presume a table divided in 4 or 5 difficulty zones. Every part has 3 or 4 levels. To pass from one difficulty zone to the other, the PCs have to acquire X successes, where X are the difficulty zone's levels. Successes lead them to lower encounters difficulties, failures, to harder ones. Could work!

Quote:
Other thoughts:
After a long travel time, it's encounter time. Everybody roll hiking. Each character has 1/3 FP (round up) plus margin of success. On a failure, you are just at 1/3. On a critical failure, you are 1d down. That fight really sucked for the rogue.
I suppose it is a home rules. And sounds way better than the hiking skill from basic. Good one!

Quote:
After running for a while, do the same but use the running skill, penalize it all by 1 and only add half the margin of success.

(I always love it when players go looking for those skills they ought to have bought and that I put on the "most people have them" list at the campaign start)
Totally agree. Too often i don't remember to use "utility skills". In this way they have to know navigation, survival and hiking at least, and for a group of adventurers should be mandatory.

Thank you very much, a lot of materials to working on!

Quote:
Maybe have individual maps for encounter areas, but leave things more general between them? If you use figgies, this may be a good place for the tactics roll for who places their forces first.
At this point, instead to use individual maps, i can set a X successes on navigation, and at that point an important fight happens, or a crossway between "ancient ruin-left, deep forest-right".
By the way, what "figgies" are?

Quote:
If they're spending days in the field, you may wish to bone up on the sleep fatigue rules too. Especially if people have sleep-related disadvantages.
That's very stressfull, i like it XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
An alternative possibility would be to have seriously poisonous plants or toxin fungi in the forest preventing the characters from leaving the trails. Here is an example.

The Forest of Eternal Night:
Yep, venomous fungi and "poisonous clouds" are always funny. An FP reletated venom with linked affliction is a good plane! My PCs will love it(question mark? :D)
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote