View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
pyratejohn

Default Re: Melee/Wizard/TFT Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
We had a fondly remembered character named Dr. Jack. Dr. Jack was a walking bag of non-combat talents - master physicker, alchemy, recognize/assess value, chemistry, etc. He had 1 combat talent - knife. He generally wore plate armor and carried a tower shield, which gave him an adjDx of 1 or somesuch. He was obviously useless in a fight but he was a valuable member of the party because of all the non-combat stuff he could do. But stopping 8 hits per attack and taking the defend option made him surprisingly difficult to kill.

That caused us to muse about a fighter whose sole purpose was to tie up the enemy. All ST, minimum DX and IQ. Armored to the maximum extent possible. AdjDx of 1 or so. No one ever ran a character like that however. Is it possible your dwarves had the same mission?
I'd say yes, except that the two characters on the flipside of the sheet are just as Tank-ish.

Looking through the list of combatants from my "Melee Assembly Line" list of characters I see there is one in there who survived five fights. I guess I thought "if one is good, four must be better." And I must have learned a lesson there, because all four of the characters on that sheet have Xs through them, so they all died.

As for the character who survived the most arena combats? That would be Hammert the Halfling, ST 4 (increased to 5 with exp), DX 16 adj (10 plate) (9 large shld) (12 sling), armed with a sling (backup was a dagger) and carrying a large shield while wearing plate. The little guy won seven fights.

Next best was Pantra, a human female ST 11, DX 13 (later 14) with a longbow. She won six.