View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Housekeeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Pretty much all my characters have at least one point in the skill, unless I intend them to be slobs. I also recommend the same to any players whose characters regularly change their bedsheets, clean their dwellings and at least occasionally cook a meal instead of getting take-out. It's the Everyman skill, IMO.
That's the interesting question: Should the average IQ 10 character (keeping in mind that there are hundreds of millions, if not billions, of characters in any given RPG world) have 1 point in Housekeeping, or not?

Same as with Cooking or Driving (although Driving is controversial, on here). Or even Computer Operation (at certain TLs - it's fairly obvious that the average character didn't have any Computer Operation at early TL8, nor in that span of TL7 at which that skill had started being a thing).

There's also Dabbler. Why are you a slob if you've split your Dabbler four ways to put 1/4 point into Housekeeping, instead of putting a full point into Housekeeping? Are you a slob just because you have to text your mother when you need her advice on how to remove a particularly troublesome stain?

In fact there could be an Everyman version of Dabbler, split four ways into Computer Operation, Cooking, Housekeeping and one more (which isn't Driving - lots of people living in cities, at least European cities or perhaps American East Coast cities, can't drive), and if you don't have that then others will - eventually - conclude that there's something wrong with you (which could be a diagnosis of slobness).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote