View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #41
Andreas

Default Re: Skill for laying low in an urban area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The things you are calling 'stupid' are generally unavoidable for people without extensive preparations, training or experience and connections. Which in GURPS implies skills that you roll against. For the vast majority of the people reading this, if you don't use electronic banking or credit cards, you couldn't afford to go on the run, disappear or even lay low. Most people I know either have no cash at all on them, or they only have a minimal amount that would not buy more than one trip by taxi or one meal. Having enough cash on you at all times to pay for a train ticket away from where you live and then a place to stay when you get somewhere else, that's really unusual.
"carelessly using your credit card" is what I called stupid and I also clarified in a later response to you that you can take a calculated risk to withdraw money with your credit card depending on the circumstances.

Whether most people could afford to go on the run depends greatly on how long they have to do so, the standard of living they want and whether they have time to prepare before running away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
To put it another way, shooting or stabbing someone is not technically hard, but GURPS still has Guns skill and Knife skill because "in war, everything is simple and the simplest things are difficult." Ditto for lockpicking, driving, etc. Under stress and in unfamiliar conditions, people often make mistakes.
Not shooting or stabbing someone does however not require a skill roll. Same for not lockpicking and not driving etc.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote