View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
whswhs

Default Re: Infinite Worlds: Fiction-Based Timelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Jane Austen Meets Frankenstein...what if ALL of the fictional worlds of the late 18th and early 19th century lived together in one timeline? While Darcy falls in love with Elizabeth Bennet, the Ancient Mariner is trapped in the icy waters near the South Pole, the School for Scandal is spreading stories in London, and Frankenstein's monster is murdering people. Oh, and all the real history of 1775 to 1825 is going on, too.
John Kessel's "Pride and Prometheus" (published in his collection The Baum Plan for Financial Independence) was nominated for a Hugo Award for its exploration of just this theme.

I did this sort of thing in my campaign Gods and Monsters, but set in 1925. I had, for example, a very aged Sherlock Holmes invite one of the PCs, whom he knew from their studying bartitsu together, to visit with him while his students competed in London's first jiu-jitsu tournament; one of his students turned out to be a young woman who was trying to get her boyfriend Bertie to sign up for lessons ("It would be so good for you, Bertie!"), and so Bertie and his friend Lord Peter showed up at the tournament, accompanied by their valets Jeeves and Bunter. The players loved it, though they never did get all the jokes.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote