View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #93
whswhs

Default Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
We want a question that contrasts power gamer tendencies from casual gamer tendencies. Regardless of the system, a power gamer has a plan for making their character more capable. A casual gamer isn’t opposed to improving their character, but it’s not why they play.

I used “next level” terminology hoping it was generic enough that even if the game systems you’re familiar with never use that phrase, you’ll understand the meaning behind it and be able to answer accordingly. If that’s not the case, I should to swap “next level” out for something that’s clear to players of any system.
I pretty much got that that was what was intended. I was more puzzling over whether the item was meant to be read literally or figuratively. The phrasing "making my character more capable" seems clear, but I wasn't sure that that was what was meant.

In a lot of the games I play, how one advances is trivial. The interesting question is what specific advances one aims at. Do I spend my character points on buying up IQ, or buying specific skills (and which skills?), or put them into gaining social advantages? I'm thinking about that, but I'm not sure if it's included in what you mean.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote