View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
The Wyzard

Default Re: The Cartesian Heresy

I can draw square rooms on a hex-map with no problem. The trick, in my opinion, is to draw the line through the hexes at around the 3/4 mark instead of down the center. This makes it quite clear which "edge" hexes can be occupied and which cannot. Really, I just think it looks better. The actual advantage of squares isn't when you draw your own maps, but rather using pre-made and often quite attractive "dungeon tiles," available from a variety of companies in a variety of styles.

Dealing with front/flank/rear hexes is the tricky part. Personally, I think you want to keep the *ratio* of "good" versus "bad" spaces to have an enemy in roughly the same. On a hex, with three front hexes, two flank, and one rear, its's about fifty-fifty. Half the hexes are good, half the hexes are bad. One of the bad ones is worse than the other two.

My own method *if I wanted to do this*, would require tracking figure handedness, and perhaps most people don't want to do that.

XXX
S+W
FRF

The plus sign obviously indicates the figure.

The "X" squares act just as do front hexes in standard TFT. Shield applies, enemies are engaged, figure can attack into them.

The S square is the shield side - the figure cannot attack into this square (except with a shield bash, perhaps) or engage the enemy there, but their shield applies.

The W square is the weapon side. The figure can attack into this square and engages the enemies there, but they do not receive a shield bonus against attacks from this direction.

Squares marked F are flanking; the normal +2DX applies.

The square marked R is rear; the normal +4DX applies.

This keeps the ratio at approximately 50/50. You have three good squares, three bad squares, and two squares that are a little mixed.

You could also ignore handedness and have a little assymmetry:

XXX
X+F
FRF

The two flanking hexes that are adjacent to each other is slightly strange, but not much stranger than many other FRPG rules. And you can probably justify it somehow, perhaps invoking handedness in some fashion.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote