View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
dwalend

Default Re: What are the compelling elements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Story-wise, the bit that's captured my imagination is the pacific theatre. Nihon, Combine, Australia [using Combine equipment], China...a place where land is too small and too far between to mount an effective ground campaign. Island-hopping with powersuited infantry is fairly easy...island-hopping with heavy tanks, on the other hand, notsomuch. A GEV-LC would go a long way, but makes a nice juicy target for a sub just waiting to send a fleet of lightly-defended craft carrying otherwise-defenseless tanks to the bottom.
I think the Pacific Theater is a great draw - has a lot of enthusiasm. Thirdpower laid down a lot of cash to do a Nihon countersheet. GURPS Ogre gives Nihon an especially deep background and some even-more-advanced weapons. One assault pack has a Chinese dragon.

Quote:
What I've been focusing most of my time with the 'Cybership' project on is with terrain. Ways to make it look like and play as elegantly as Ogre, while feeling different enough to justify the spinoff's existence. There's a few I'm proud of, a few I'm not and need to rework. And a lot that needs taken from "late night brain dump" and run through the filter of "behind the scenes in Ogre" to clean it up.
What have you been able to do?

For tech from Ogre we get:
  • BPC armor
  • Clever-enough AI
  • Railguns
  • TacNukes
  • Lasers (which keep everything low)
  • GEVs
  • Battlesuits

Quote:
Biggest headache I've had so far is the armaments themselves. Think naval combat and most people go to giant battleships, belching fire from multiple turrets with multiple barrels each...but doing something like that while keeping the numbers in check, as well as maintaining that nice rock-paper-scissors effect...has proven difficult.
Ogre's tech - huge tanks mounting multiple railguns shooting tac nukes at BPC-armored targets - and lasers keeping everything nape-of-earth or lower - is a pretty reasonable step toward WWI-style battleships.

For naval and littoral combat I think we should add
  • BPC Hulls
  • Plentiful small supercavitating torpedoes
  • Supercavitating cannon-fired munitions
  • Depth charges (for overruns only)
  • Some upper bound on the size of a GEV on water
  • BPC Hydrofoils
  • Magnetohydrodynamic drives
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote