View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #25
Varyon

Default Re: Food & other stuff production in a farm

A rather speedy response from Kromm (which I kind of expected, the man is a machine):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon
So, bit of a debate just cropped up in the Food & Other Stuff Production in a Farm thread, and I'd like some clarification. Is Tenure meant to also mean that, on months where the character doesn't work, he still gets paid, or does it not? The former seems like it would make Tenure into a better form of Independent Income, at least if you have a job appropriate for your Wealth level.
Tenure means only one thing: "I can't lose my job." You still have to work to get paid – although "I didn't bother to show up to work this week/month/year" is among the many things that won't get you fired. Generally, GURPS takes the approach of paying points for each benefit separately. The benefits "I can't be fired" and "I get paid for doing nothing" aren't the same; those are Tenure and Independent Income, respectively.
I believe the mention of keeping your salary is more just that you don't get a paycut, not that you still get paid. I'm not certain exactly how freelance/self-employment is meant to work in GURPS, when it isn't part of the adventure (as it is in DF and the like), but my guess would be you should still go through the normal "find a job" rules if you didn't start with one, and that failure to work semi-regularly means you lose whatever connections that represented and have to try again next time you need a job (continuing to work means more work keeps coming in, so it's just like having a normal job, but with a variable pay scale).

With all that in mind, I'd say my Tenure build is appropriate for production that is time-consuming/labor-intensive (that is, production that is itself a job), while Independent Income is appropriate when it's something you produce passively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
How exactly would you stat a creature that creatures a poison or toxin that can be harvested without harm to the creature in question? For example, venomous snakes can be milked for their venom while certain frogs can have their toxic excretions harvested by wiping their skin with a moist towel. Is it just a perk associated with a relevant limited use Toxic Attack?
Either Tenure or Independent Income, dependent on how much like work the extraction is. If acquiring it weakens you - eats up one or more daily uses of your poison, say - that's worth a discount, but I'm not certain how much of one (Alternate Ability might work for Independent Income, but not for Tenure).