View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: [Spaceships] TL9 Military Spaceships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy
The 100,000 mile distance between asteroids isn't too bad, either - that's still just half the distance of the Distant combat scale. Still not very good, of course - but well within the capabilities of the Menippe, with its 1G acceleration (with a module installed). This gives it the ability to get an Attack Vector on a foe in the 10 minute time scale, making the engagement range Long - well within range for these missiles against an SM+12 target. At this range, you could place Menippes on several asteroids up to two hundred thousand miles out in order to perform the ambush.
All I'm saying is that if I were the captain of a vessel in known hostile territory, and there are only three places to hide in several billion cubic miles, I'd be keeping an eye on those three places fairly diligently.

Relevant anecdote:
When I was going through Marine Combat Training, we had a camouflage class. There was some classroom time on camouflage techniques, and then they released us into a dry gully in groups of two to camouflage a fighting position. We had about a half hour before the instructors would come try to find us. Me and my partner found a dry creek bed that was ideal, and we picked a spot where a small tree was growing out of the side of the creek bed. With a minimum of fuss, we had a position where our uniforms matched the foliage, and the round shapes of our helmets merged with the base of the tree so that there wasn't any obviously artificial silhouettes. When the instructor appeared, he walked right up to our position and greeted us.

I asked him how he had seen us. He said he hadn't, but because all the rest of the terrain had so little cover to offer, this tree was an obvious place to hide.

I'm not arguing the game mechanics of hiding on an asteroid. By the rules, it obviously would work well. The problem is, anyone who knows what they're doing will KNOW what a good hiding spot it is, and approach it with a suitable sense of caution. Or just hit it regardless of whether they detect anything, if it's actually a war and they don't have to worry about ammo(using lasers, perhaps.) Thats all I'm trying to say.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote