View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
whswhs

Default Re: differing power levels within a party: The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Acrobatic dodges are worth +2, not +1, and you only get that benefit once during your turn.

In any case, if the problem is high dodge, why didn't the GM hit her with high skill (A skill 30 swordmaster could drop that dodge to 8 with a major deceptive attack. A feint would likely be even better, as she doesn't sound like she has high combat skills to compensate), or sweeping area attacks (the classic hulk-tactic for defeating speeders: destroy all the ground around you and hammer out shockwaves with your fist). Never mind tricks like mind control or malediction-based attacks.

"You can't hit me" doesn't seem to be more game-breaking than "You can't hurt me," less actually, since you have more tools at your disposal to crack very high defenses than you have to crack very high DR.
With Dex-19 and Per-19 she had appallingly high combat skills, even before I sank lots of points into them. I think I got her up to Smallsword-25, which was higher than just about all of our adversaries. Certainly it would have been fair for our GM to do as you suggest, but in point of fact he didn't.

And, you know, to some degree, I think there's a difference between "you come up against someone who's a speedster or a combat monster, who has attack skills high enough to compensate for your defenses" and "every random brick or blaster you meet just happens to have Attack-25."

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote