View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
demonsbane

Default Re: [House Rules] Extra Effort in Combat - Quick and Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Thoughts?
Hi evileeyore,

I understand there can be various approaches for handling Extra Effort in Combat, and here you show one of them.

Not seeking to diminish your effort and creativity, it's that I just love the approach to Extra Effort in Combat of the GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns book (page 357), providing options like Feverish Defense, Flurry of Blows and Mighty Blows (see below). I also like very much how other GURPS 4E books like Powers and Martial Arts expand this very approach with additional, compatible options, and I believe it's just great for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.

I wonder, then, if it would be possible to rephrase the three options from the Basic Set for Extra Effort in Combat, and to have them as optional rules for the DFRPG here in this sub-forum, according to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
And as we're not going to soften our other forums rules against pasting text from our products here, in practice this means that when you add mods that are really just GURPS rules, you're going to be explaining them in your own words.
So it could be, if I'm not mistaken, this for instance:

Quote:
Extra Effort in Combat: For using extra effort in combat, you must announce it and spend FP before any roll related to your choice. Critical failures don't go well with these options, adding to the usual results 1 HP of injury (regardless DR) to the arm or leg (to parry, block or attack with shield, weapon or hand affects the arm; to dodge or kick affects the leg).

This optional rule opens the following three options:

Feverish Defense: by spending 1 FP you get +2 to an active defense roll, just to one; this option isn't available if you take the All-Out Attack maneuver.

Flurry of Blows: by spending 1 FP per attack, you get half the penalty for Rapid Strike (Exploits, p. 38).

Mighty Blows: by spending 1 FP per attack, you get the damage bonus of an All-Out Attack (Strong) (see Exploits, p. 30) without negatively affecting your defensive capabilities.

Flurry of Blows and Mighty Blows can't be used at once.
To my mind, these are the same optional rules from the Basic Set (p. 357) expressed with my own words (of course I'm open to any corrections or to substitution for better versions!). But I'd like to be entirely sure if something like this is truly allowed.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote