View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #15
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Here's something I don't get about Coventry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosfilaes
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
-So, barring allotechnology, he'll never discover parachronics. Thus, rendering Francis a nonissue. I'm talking about a ~TL8 scientist who has discovered parachronics. If this discovery is based on data accessible to anybody who can use them for parachronic applications, Infinity will have to do more than snatch jobs.-

That is the danger in this setting. I think Infinity is wisely not letting anyone come close to parachronics; if it takes three or four geniuses to discover the basic knowledge for parachronics, if you take out the bottom one, the next never get to stand on his shoulders.
The problem as I layed out back in 1998 was the idea falsely assumed that parachronics are the only form of 'time travel' that works and it is always produced by lone inventors.

Given the knowledge I had gained from James Burke's books _Connections_
and the _The Day the Universe Changed_ I know that both these ideas were
quite bluntly total BS. For the most part inventions are the product of people putting already existing ideas together in new ways. Sometimes you do have an inventor who has flashes of insight beyond the existing TL but usially they are too advanced for their times: Leonardo Da Vinci and Nikola Tesla are two prime examples.

It is expressly stated that Infinity kidnaps scientists from other Quanta
who are close to 'discovering the technology' which means technology that
Infinity reconizes as parachronics. As Burke points out in his series
there is no one way to get to a certain technology and how you get there may be totally accidential or by factors totally outside anyone's control.

Infinity's attitude is not only unrealistic but it is pure stupidity to
assume that the methods and theories of Homeline and Centrum are the only ones that work. Not only is Infinity totally hopeless fighting parallel
technology; (ie technology that effectively works like conveyors and
projectors but is baced on theories totally alien to Infinity) but their
attitude about the devlopment of parachronics technology borders on the
mononic.

Infinity seems to taken the view that since parachronics on their world
was developed by one inventor that is that way everywhere else. Against a
world for whom parachronics is the product of something resembling
realistic technological deveopment patterns Infinity is totally helpless
and hopeless. Small wonder they got caught totally flatfooted when Reich-5 went for world Jumping based traveling.

I went even futher IMC with Paradox-1 an Quantum 5 world what uses 'parachronic' like technology based on what they call Trinary Chronal Theory. TCT explains somethings parachronic has problems with and visa versa. It was a way to break the artificial status quo created in Time Travel.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote