View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
WineShark

Default Re: Here's something I don't get about Coventry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosfilaes
That is the danger in this setting. I think Infinity is wisely not letting anyone come close to parachronics; if it takes three or four geniuses to discover the basic knowledge for parachronics, if you take out the bottom one, the next never get to stand on his shoulders.
The question is how elastic you make the timelines. If you are talking about the Echoes, and time is inelastic, you don't want to precipitate a shift. That would be Bad.

If your time is elastic, the timeline should/will find a suitable replacement for any such historically important character. Kill Hitler as a kid and some other dictator becomes very Hitler-like in that particular timeline. Stuff like this is covered under timeline shifts.

IOW: it's very much in the GM's hand on how you play Infinity vs. the Minds of History/Alternity.

If we are talking about parallels, not Echoes, then removing said figures may change the course of their future, but then again, we don’t know where it was going anyway. We can’t just hop back in their history and meddle. That’s what is so cool about Infinite Worlds: you have semi-time travel in the Echoes, wild stuff in the Alternates and Strange Parallels, all without substantial effect back on Homeline.

The notion that historical characters would or would not care about The Secret is semantic. Play it in your campaign on an adventure-to-adventure basis. If Newton cares and is intrigued, so be it. If some punk kid is screaming that aliens are invading across time, so be it. It will be up to your campaign.

I agree that sometimes, hiring said TL8 scientist is profitable, however, Coventry exists to deal with unwilling, unstable, and generally uncooperative and untrustworthy persons. So if this TL8 pioneer is a madman, or the world jumper is idealistic and doesn't like the idea of serving Infinity, you ship him off to Parachronic Siberia.

For me, that is the interesting aspect of how you play Infinity: Happy and UN-like or the darker, secret Infinity. You can take it in whatever direction you choose.

WineShark.com
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote