View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #168
Varyon

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
A correctly thrown biconical sling projectile will impact with either end, as long as it hits. Imagine an American football.

As long as you are willing to have some mechanism in both sides, you ought to be good.
Agreed. However, there will be cases where the projectile is either not correctly thrown (a slinger in a rush, or perhaps one that is himself struck while slinging) or where it gets sent into a tumble (turbulence from a nearby explosion, glancing off a target - or the target's weapon/shield for a just-barely-failed defense - but then hitting something else nearby; heck, with massed slingers it may occur that you have the stones themselves glancing off each other mid-flight). These probably wouldn't have an effect on the crush fuse, but likely would on the needle mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If the vial is only $5 and we need only a few drops of Alchemist's Fire, I can't see any reason for the basic fuse to cost more than $10.

Add maybe $10 for safety and ease-of-use considerations (good hand grips, a way to screw it in, etc.), as well as another $10 for some basic features that allow it to slot into the projectiles. I think that $25 sounds about right for the fuze.

If the projectile is going to deform, that's all you need.

A pin mechanism justifies additional cost above that, of course. Judging from the rules for locks, maybe another $25 would be fair. And you'd need one fuze for each end of the projectile.

So you'd be at $25-$100, depending.
That looks fair enough.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote