View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #36
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

2/10 AP + 1 would be 3/10 AP, I think, not 4/10...

I'm making another Attack maneuver, reducing me from 1/12 AP to 0/12 AP. But I want more AP to do another Dual Weapon Attack with!

I'm going to burn another 1 FP (11/12 > 10/12) to get back up to 6/12 AP. I still haven't passed 20% so no penalties to IQ/DX/HT yet, but we FP=ST folk lose 1 ST per 2 expended FP, so I'm now at ST 11. This doesn't reduce my thrust damage because we're both at the upper rung of the +1 per 2 ST increments.
  • Note for future fights: since "Hitting Bottom" mentions burning FP in the context of reaching 0 AP, I think it would make sense to disallow (or at least make it harder) burning FP if one has positive AP. If it had to be done mechanically, maybe burning FP could require a Will+10 roll with a penalty equal to AP remaining? If below 0, then AVOIDING burning FP could be the inverse, a Will roll with a penalty equal to however many AP you are below zero.

Since I've lost FP, I need to roll against Hitting the Wall and Persistance is Futile again.

(note that despite FIP coming before HTW, I believe it would make more sense to roll HTW first, because since FP loss can result in HP loss, and HP loss can result in Shock, and Shock can penalize IQ/Will rolls, that you should first roll HTW to see whether or not the will roll for PIF would be penalized)

That said, I just noticed on page 6 that "treating this as a nuisance roll should be reserved for if your adjusted HT score is 19 or higher" which is the case for me (12+5+2, not for you at 10+5+2 though) so I probably shouldn't have rolled it before, and won't roll it this time. If I burn another (reducing HT from 12 to 11) my modified HT would be 18 and I would need to roll!

I do still need to roll Persistance is Futile though... rolled a 12 which is less than 20. It occurs to me that with modified Will of 18+ that the only way you can fail is a critical failure, which does not generate a MoF, I'm going to rule that a failed PIF roll has a minimum requirement of 1 second of non-aggression.

I was actually thinking based on this rule we could do "PIF damage" where you pool "damage" (MoF or 1, whichever is greater) from failed PIF checks, and do it like taking a recovery action heals 2 damage while taking a 0-cost action heals 1 damage. This way multiple failed PIF checks (since you roll once per FP lost) could add up to longer-term immobility.

Since I passed the check, I can spend another 1 AP on my Dual Weapon Attack (if I had failed, I think it would be fair to say that spending AP on attacking is considered aggressive and not allowed, you should only be able to spend AP on stuff like Feverish Defense while under the effect of FUTILITY) reducing me from 6/12 AP to 5/12 AP.

Since your Evaluate bonus is building up, I'll note that you can use your bonus to cancel out penalties for Deceptive Attack or Feint per MA100 if you want, but it doesn't mention canceling out the penalty for DWA, cumulative defenses or off-hand defenses.

I'm again going to make these telegraphed and random. Boxing 14+4-4 base, skill 14 for right punch, skill 10 for left punch (which is -1 to damage if it hits).

I rolled a 6<14 success for the right punch. Rolling random hit location, I got a 12 indicating your LEFT arm. Rolling on sub-table C I got a 6, I'm aiming at the left shoulder (no special effect for crushing damage)

The 2nd half of my DWA missed (11>10) but B417 says " If you aim both attacks at a single opponent, he defends at -1 against them" so there doesn't seem to be a requirement that the 2nd attack actually hits... although B549 says "-1 if both attacks strike the same target" so I'm not sure. Thoughts?

HOW DO YOU REACT? PARRY? DODGE?

BTW since you have a better Parry score than me but do less damage, I thought of an interesting option to let you use as an equalizer...

MA111 "Reversed Grip" gives +1 to thrusting damage with a weapon at the expense of -2 to parry. Even though the name doesn't make sense for punching, punches are classified as a reach C melee weapon in the damage charts, so I don't see anything unbalanced about allowing you to do this. I'd allow this with your kicks too (you won't miss the -2 to Leg Parry, I'm guessing) but note RG reduces reach from 1 to C when attacking to front/side so you would only be able to do reach 1 kicks using Back Kick.

MA81 "Two-Handed Punch" doesn't have an equivalent of "Two-Handed Elbow", even though I've seen people reinforce an elbow with the other arm. For that purpose I'd say to use Defensive Grip (MA110 +1 to damage, -2 to hit) for those elbows. This takes more time since you need to set up with a Ready maneuver, something that Two-Handed Punch doesn't require. The -2 skill +1 damage matching between 2HP and DG can't be a coincidence...

I'm going to opt to ignore the "you only get one" for Cross Parry. Instead, it would count as a parry for both arms (both take the -4).

Instead of 2HP being either "knitting the fingers of two hands together to strike" or "striking with two fists held together" it will just be the 2nd one. "Knitting" sounds like it would require more time, so having that represent a "Defensive Grip" punch (needing a Ready maneuver) sounds better.

The difference would be: with 2HP aren't forced to make Cross Parries (your hands aren't intertwined) but with "Defensive Grip Knitting" instead of obligatory Cross Parries, you get the +1 to parry frontal attacks only that requires a Ready to enter and a Ready to exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There is one maneuver that grants AP immediately: all-out-defense. It gives you 2 defensive AP now, and if you don't use them, you have a chance at keeping them.
You're right, I was just thinking of this in terms of "two free defenses" but it can be spent on retreats or resisting quick contests too.

How do you think these 2 AP would interact with stuff like being at 0 AP and suffering AP loss due to shock/strangulation? Would you allow that to be taken off the free AP first, or ignore them and take it off the base (reducing below 0 presumably forcing FP burn, unless of course AP loss due to shock/strangulation doesn't do anything once you're at 0?)

Quote:
Life and Death! Are these people trying to kill each other? I thought this was a friendly fist fight! It can go either way, but its worth noting that's how we're going to work this.
Combat's dangerous, there's no referee, so I figure sure? I kind of wish there wasn't an absolute "0 or 5" for danger levels though, grading bonuses from 1-5 based on levels of perceived danger would be cooler.

Quote:
.5 classically is considered to round up when rounding to the nearest.
Works for me.

Quote:
I agree that the parry of a stop-hit could and possibly should be part of the 1 AP attack.
Perhaps same with Jams / Aggressive Parries / Grabbing Parries despite also involving 2 rolls.

Quote:
I'd prefer not to require defenses against attacks that are going to miss, and penalizing failed defenses against failed attacks is particularly weird. If they are encouraged, the -1 feels like a better option. I find that high defenses aren't quite as fun.

And I stand by this even for stop hits. Defending does take time, but its also about reacting to your opponent, rather than trying to make it impossible for him to attack in any way.
Making it impossible for enemies to attack is the intent of Defensive Feint!

Defenses against failed attacks would be unlikely to fail if you gave them a bonus equal to the attack's MoF (it's very easy to defend against attacks which already aren't going to hit you). Perhaps to make it even less likely the defense bonus could be 2xMoF or 3xMoF? Just to get a slim chance of "I dodged into the missed punch" or "I redirected the punch that would've zinged past my ear into my nose"

Could also do something like make a perception check and if it passes, you realize it's a miss and can opt to forgo your defense roll and save the AP if you declared before roll.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote