View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

I went back and dealt with some forgotten rolls (Will check 15>13 for Persistance is Futile, HT check 11<19 for Hitting the Wall, both found on page 5) and passed both for losing my FP so I didn't have to pause or lose HP.

For PIF when inputting to https://dicelog.com/logdice I forgot to include the +2 for training, +5 for life and death, -4 for shock, this adjusts what I had to roll against from 13 to 16 so 15 is a pass) will keep in mind for next FP loss. If either of us does fail, I'd say we should interpret it as "must choose Zero-Cost or Recovery maneuvers for MoF turns or until AP is full, whichever comes first".

I had taken All-Out Defense immediately after anyway, so even if I had failed, it would've been in character for MoF 1. Luckily did not roll an 18 because MoF 2 would've prevented me from making my DWA on you the turn after!)

You don't get the +5 for life and death if you fail a Fright Check,

"High Resolution ST Loss" is very easy to calculate when have the same number of ST and FP as we both do (subtract half lost FP from ST) I would be at 11.5 right now, my damage won't go down unless I'm reduced below 11. "Round to the nearest" isn't a clear guideline with 0.5... We both have to lose greater than 20% of FP to worry about IQ/DX/HT penalties.

I use my free step to enter close combat with you again, I go 3/12 AP to 1/12 AP throwing another DWA (-4) at you (both ends telegraphed ear-claps at +4-3 to hit) and both miss (16>11 and 11>7) so you don't have to worry about spending AP on defenses.

Roll HT to determine AP recovery and choose next maneuver.

BTW, I'll allow "Contest of Wills" on MA130 as an option, if someone takes a Concentrate against a foe (I think "One Foe" as prerequisite for this would make sense) foes who notice them (one using One Foe against someone ELSE might not notice it at all... and you can't "lock eyes" with someone who is behind you) have to pass a Will roll if they wish to avoid taking a Concentrate themselves and entering a Regular contest.

Instead of "cannot be challenged again this combat" on a pass (boring, staring guys can be scary and hypnotic even if you don't immediately pay attention o them) I'm going to house-rule that passing this Will to resist a "contest challenge" simply gives a MoS bonus to your next roll if your enemy tries this Concentrate attack next turn. Our characters have the same IQ/Will (10) so we'd be on equal ground trying this, unless of course one of us is suffering IQ penalties due to shock or FP loss (which I might end up suffering soon, the way things are going...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yep, down to 2/10, thus my observation that telegraphic attack can be used to attack AP instead of HP.
Only if you choose to defend or end up suffering shock :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I don't think I roll to recover AP until after you attack and my turn ends?
You're right, I overlooked "On your next turn after you chose a recovery event". I guess REs aren't as good as I thought =/

Some brainstorming for future combat (a little complex to include these now...)

re MA108 "your Stop Hit and parry are a single move, not two distinct actions" do you think because of this that the choice to do Wait > Stop Hit should give a free parry if you use the same weapon to parry as that which you attacked with? This is at -3 instead of -1 if you ended up getting hit and didn't have a larger MoS than your opponent, so it could still be worth spending 1 AP to parry with another limb or do a dodge.

In that case though, I would have someone declare their active defense before resolving the strike rolls, so that they don't know whether they have the higher MoS or not before they've committed to a defense. This would also mean potentially wasting AP on a defense that isn't necessary if they miss.

The idea of needing to declare your defense before resolving strike rolls is an idea I like, because I can conceive trying to dodge a punch which was going to miss me anyway. This could work like a bonus (+1?) to any defenses chosen before the attack is rolled, OR a penalty (-1?) to any defense chosen AFTER the attack is rolled. Which do you think would work better?

In the instance of someone who already declared a defense early (spending AP) and then the attack missed so it seems pointless, I was thinking you could apply the Margin of Failure on that attack as a bonus to the defense roll, for the purpose of avoiding critical failures, successfully contacting the incoming limb despite it missing (for Auras, Spines, Aggressive Parry, Grabbing Parry or Escaping Parry) or having a critical success (0 AP cost, turns normal attack failures into critical failures).

An inverse of this would be that if you fail a defense roll against a missed attack, the margin of failure on your active defense is applied as a retroactive bonus to the previously missed attack roll. If your MoF is enough to make that attack hit (equal or higher) then it ends up hitting despite initially missing, because the defense was so horrible that you ended up jumping into the path of the missed hit (dodge) or redirecting the missed hit back toward yourself (parry). But in that case I'd probably roll Random Hit Location instead of original target.

Last edited by Plane; 11-28-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote