Old 12-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #49
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: DF Implied Cosmology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Thanks for mentioning Caverntown. It's a classic
I'd have just had you stop there. :-)

I made no secret that when I expanded HoJ and wrote Isfjall I used Caverntown as something between an outline and checklist. It's not all the same, but that would be boring. The idea of local mana/nature's strength/sanctity "hot spots" where it's good to live I really liked, and putting a 1000m (or more?) deep supernaturally-created lake next to Isfjall meant that I could, one day, go down there and find a lost city or something.

Quote:
But I also gave PCs valves for letting off steam, in Warrior Codes (p. 27). This is important, too. You can carry weapons, defend yourself, and even duel as long as you're not breaking the law.
The havamal, which are kinds viking rules to live by, supposedly by Ošinn himself, makes a big deal of not going around weaponless. And the sort of casual violence so common to dungeon delving seemed to be a real thing. So if you go around in Isfjall *without* arms, a wizard's staff, or some other sign that says "badass in residence; inquire within" or "Warning: I cast FIST early and often!" you get tested. A lot.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote