View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #22
gmillerd

Default Re: GURPS LOTR Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
What about Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits, though? Outside of Aragorn's healing hands, the dwarves in the Hobbit guarding the troll trove with protective spells, and some of the dwarf-crafted items in the Lonely Mountain supposedly being enchanted, what is actually attested to? Does the Witch-King of Angmar count, or can we assume that his power first stemmed from his ring?
For what its worth, MERP has a significant number of foes and friends that are able to weld spells / magic. They are usually getting this from sort of Maiar or similar conduit. Not unlike traditional ritual magic or shamanism.

The crazy witch lady for example (lives in swamps, former colleague of the necromancer, name escapes me) learned her spell craft directly from the Necromancer. There is some text where she goes into detail on the sacrifices of old to him. She has some savvy direct attacks (immobilize/cripple, blind, suffocate), locating/tracking spells, and a pile of herbalism (poisons). But again this might also be all Herb Lore, the setting is quite insane with the 'find the blood moss from which hopeless yadda yadda blood was spilt' == 'death touch spell' I think she has a crazy dagger weapon as well with some back story to it which indicated enchantment ability on her part.