View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
Jinumon

Default Re: [AtE] The Realistic Limit of "Hand-Made"

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I would find such a setting maddening- some advances in technology are downright trivial to reproduce once someone else has done the difficult part of doing the initial development and testing; so a society that is 10 generations past 'the event' and is still messing around with 'junk' tech would really fry my suspension of disbelief and ability to immerse myself in it, unless there is a pretty persistent deus ex machina keeping such things from being restored, but then to me the challenge is circumventing or defeating the deus ex.
I suppose I should have also mentioned that a substantial portion of the Earth's resources (particularly metal) have gone into producing the Forge Cities, which began at mid-TL 9 and have since evolved into early TL 10. Each Forge is a massive industrial superstructure that required/requires enormous amounts of materials to produce and maintain, and each can sustain a limited number of individuals (a few million, at most) in a relatively small, closed ecosystem.

IDK. I'm not much of a Technologist/Earth Science guy. I might just post a forum with as many details about the world as I can and have people make suggestions/poke holes in it until I can get it to where I want.

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote