View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Jackal

Default Re: Beast Rules of Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Why is this prescription for behavior in combat necessary? It seems to me to make animals a lot less savvy and a whole lot more predictable than they really are. Different animals have different techniques. Some, like wolves, might try to hamstring prey, while others, such as pumas, leap on prey from above and go tor the neck. Constrictor snakes will go for HTH (if you can call it that), while cobras and vipers will strike from a distance.

I'd prefer no such rule.
Because there are no hamstring rules. And no go-for-the-throat rules. And no constrictor rules (other than HTH).

If you think we need a simple system to reflect body location-specific damage, or specific rules for specific animals, like "Taking 8+ damage from a wolf means the figure falls to the ground and can never walk again," then by all means write it up! What you suggest could be very cool.

But I think having a simple rule that covers the fact that ALL animals will engage prey (or any target) in HTH as defined by TFT would make for a better game.

As for HOW an animal attacks, this rule says nothing. This is *NOT* a prescription for behavior!!! Puma leaps on you from above? Great! Hope you took Alertness, buddy!

But do you really think a puma landing on you would only do 1d6 (or whatever) and leave you standing next to him, free to use your battle axe next turn?

I don't!

Last edited by Jackal; 03-13-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote