View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
Tom H.

Default Re: Difficult monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
. . .
And yet others are easily avoided by savvy delvers but become lethal in specialized circumstances:
. . .
  • jelly: Pathetically slow and low-DX, but if it gets you, engulf is a near death sentence. Very deadly if it falls on you or you fall on it. Absorptive ones are much, much worse . . . one with flight, magic, etc. becomes a true boss.
When I was originally analyzing the Jelly threat, I had a crazy potential solution.

The delvers could all explore the dungeon tethered to each other by lengths of rope. Then when the unsuspecting party member gets ambushed and engulfed by a jelly, the allies could leverage their strength via Pulling Your Weight (Exploits, pg. 21) to overcome the ST 25 needed to break the victim free.

(Note that trying to grab the victim directly (no rope) exposes each assistant to the jelly's virulent paralysis.)

But some parties may have trouble garnering enough strength even with the cooperation.

And of course, there's still the absurdity and hazard of exploring a dungeon all tethered together.

FYI, here is a reference to the topic of my original dilemma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
. . .
For example, looking at a Jelly, I don't see how somebody who becomes engulfed would really escape.
. . .
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote