View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #29
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Countering archers and bows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
But dodging does not get worse with each previous dodge, not unless you are using optional rules (which would definitely be biased against melee characters), so a character with Dodge 11 always has a 60% of dodging an attack (after accounting for critical successes on the part of the attacker). Acrobatic dodges increase it to 83%, while a DB 1 shield increase it to 73% (88% during an acrobatic dodge).
If you have a 50% chance of doing something one time, you have a 6% chance of doing it four times in a row, because that's how iterative probability works.

If the objection to a shield is "it won't protect me against a second arrow in the same turn" then my argument is dodges, unpenalized or not, will not reliably protect against multiple arrows per turn. With a shield, Luck, and Acrobatics, you can probably 2-3 arrow hits a turn for several turns while closing with a nearby archer. Doing the same thing without the shield is a lot harder unless you have Dodge 13+ and most GMs tend to frown on that.