View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
lwcamp

Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Supplementary: anyone know off hand the limits for stability for a hollow cylinder rotating about its axis?
To be stable, the cylinder bust be rotating about the principle axis with the largest moment of inertia (this gives it the lowest rotational kinetic energy for a given angular momentum, meaning it cannot shed energy into other rotational modes).

A thin cylindrical shell - a hollow cylinder without endcaps - with mass M and radius R has a moment of inertia of MR^2 for rotation around its center axis.

A uniform circular disk - one of the endcaps of the cylinder - with mass M' and radius R has a moment of inertia of M'R^2/2 for rotation around its center axis. The cylinder will have two of these endcaps.

Thus, the moment of inertia for the entire hollow cylinder is MR^2 + 2 * M'R^2/2 = R^2 (M + M').

A hollow cylinder of length L, radius R and mass M without endcaps rotating around an axis perpendicular to its primary axis has a moment of inertia of M(L^2/12 + R^2/2).

A disk M' of radius R oriented perpendicular to its axis of rotation at a distance of L/2 - the endcap - has a moment of inertia of M'(L/2)^2 + M'R^2/4. Again, there are two endcaps.

Thus, for a hollow cylinder tumbling end over end, we have a total moment of inertia of ML^2/12 + MR^2/2 + 2 * (M'(L/2)^2 + M'R^2/4) = L^2 (M/12 + M'/2) + R^2 (M + M')/2

If the cylinder and endcap both have a uniform areal density D (probably equal to 1 ton/m^2, as this is sufficient to cut the dose from cosmic radiation down to levels without known long term health risks), then M = 2 * pi * R * L * D, M' = pi * R^2 *D.

For rotation about the cylindrical axis, this gives
I_z = pi * R^3 (2 * L + R) * D.
For end-over-end tumbling, on the other hand
I_x,y = pi * L^2 R (L / 6 + R / 2) * D + pi * R^3 (L + R/2) D
And we need
I_z > I_x,y
for stability. This gives us the condition
R^3 + 2 * L R^2 - L^2 R - L^3 / 3 > 0
Since it is late, I'm not going to solve this cubic inequality now (or check my work, for that matter - others may wish to look it over for accuracy), but will note that cubic equations do have closed form solutions, so you can find the allowed values of R in terms of L that give you a cylinder that rotates stably about its axis rather than tumbling end over end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_equation

Luke

Last edited by lwcamp; 04-18-2010 at 11:50 PM.
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote