View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Default Re: Notes on Using GURPS Ultra-Tech (4e) in TS: Chapter 3

Chapter Three

"Communications, Sensors, and Media" - a theme of interest in many TS games, I think, and this chapter expands the options and rules usefully. Where the two sources differ, I think that GMs can generally just take their pick as to which they prefer.

Communicators

Ultra-Tech gives markedly better ranges for some of these, weight for weight, especially at TL10. Converting isn't likely to be a game-breaker, though.

Laser Communicators: Laser-Retinal Imaging probably counts as a flashy spy-show trick in the TS setting. Personally, I'm not sure what I'd think about the idea of somebody lasering messages direct into my eyeball.

Radio Communicators: Note that the TS-style Implant Radio is covered later in the book (p.211). Some others provide an exception to the rule about Ultra-Tech giving better ranges. Broadly, the Ultra-Tech Tiny model equates to the TS short-range communicator, but is lighter and has much less range; the Small model is analogous to the TS medium-range unit, but costs twice as much for slightly less range; the Medium model weighs as much as the TS long-range communicator, costs a lot more, and gives much better range; and the Large and Very Large types hav no counterparts listed. Pick which list you prefer, or even mix and match...

Sonar Communicators: Handy for those Under Pressure games... Actually, Under Pressure has two analogues. The personal Sonarcoder (p.120) isn't generally as good but which does allow broadcast transmission - one might add that as an option to these (with, say, 1/10 beamed range). Vehicle sonarcomms (p.143) are slightly inferior to the Ultra-Tech versions. I might use the latter, but exclude the Tiny and Micro versions - generating a beamed sonar signal is surely going to require a certain amount of bulk.

Sonic Communicator: Not canonical for TS, and I'm not sure how far I buy the concept as hard SF.

Encryption

TS assumes stronger encryption as standard than Ultra-Tech. I suspect that this is actually entirely plausible.

Quantum Encryption: Ultra-Tech has a different pricing structure for this - a multiplier rather than flat addition. Does one believe in a quantum encryption system on a laser communicator for as little as $180? Up to you, but I might stick with the flat rate.

Translators

Translator programs are of course defined slightly differently to TS language skill sets, but the complexity levels come out quite similar. I'd probably stick to the skill set model for consistency, but that's a matter of taste. Note that a standalone translator program won't require a Modular Abilities slot.

Neural Interfaces

The Neural Input Receiver might well be possible in TS, but might not prove to be terribly precise or reliable. Most tasks that could use it would be at least as well handled by either an AI or a human with an implant interface. The thing might show up occasionally, though, as a curiosity.

The Neural Interface Implant is really covered by the Virtual Interface Implant - it could be considered as one specific reason to have a cheap VII. The Neural Interface Helmet might be possible, but is weird and disturbing enough that it might not be popular - if someone is willing to have, effectively, surgery on their head for such a purpose, they might prefer to have it done just the once, under controlled conditions, and make it permanent.

"Brainlocks" or similar protections also sound possible, and might form part of standard TS-era computer interface security. Though I do wonder how reliably unique and repeatably identifiable a human's brain waves actually are.

Networks

* Homing Couriers: These haven't been mentioned in TS, but they're a fun idea... Maybe they're strictly for very urgent special deliveries, probably at higher than listed cost - after all, those courier robots will cost money to run, and may represent a hassle for traffic management, leading to significant licensing fees.

Media and Education

Probably a good general guide to the sort of data-recording and experiencing gear that might be around in 2100...

* Word Processing Software: I will just say, though, that anyone who thinks that a voice-operated word processor will give a +1 bonus to Writing skill (or +2 to editing tasks) ... strikes me as a bit optimistic. Or maybe just much more organised in their thoughts than me.

* Sonic Projector: I'm not sure that acoustic heterodyning technology is canonical for TS. Probably mostly harmless to introduce it, but it somehow looks like the sort of technology that players would work out how to abuse quite quickly.

* Virtual Reality: The manager software is slightly differently defined, but nothing that'll break games. Take your pick which to use. Interestingly, TS assumes that virtual buildings and spaces take up ten times as much storage as Ultra-Tech suggests; doubtless this is simply a design decision, but I like to think that TS virtual reality is really, really detailed. Note that the prices for such things in TS ($1,000 per TB) are the same as those quoted for TL9 in Ultra-Tech, where they are then divided by 1,000 for TL10; I suspect that might be a bit generous (one dollar for a whole virtual street or mall?).

* Augmented Reality: Note that Ultra-Tech basically lets one get a "free" +1 to vision rolls just by running the right complexity 4 software. I could see a lot of cybershells abusing this... Also, the Virtual Tutor software is a little different - sometimes more complex, but always giving skill-12.

* Sensies: Could be handy as a set of rules for the details of slinky use in TS. Assumes slightly smaller data storage requirements for these things. Also places them at TL9; in TS, they're described as recent enough that I might make them TL10.

* Teaching and Learning Aids: Another handy discussion of what might be possible. However, I'd consider the Dream Teacher probably to be superscience; messing about with people's dream states and hoping to convey useful training thereby strikes me as dubious. It doesn't seem to be canon in TS, and I could see PCs abusing it, so I'd tend to leave it out.

Sensors and Scientific Equipment

Lots of handy toys here. Prices may vary from TS equivalents (where they exist), of course, but the problem doesn't seem to be too bad. In this case, TS often seems to set prices lower, though it doesn't, say, automatically include magnification capability in its high-tech optics. Ultra-Tech may allow better personal radar gear, though.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote