View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #49
Daigoro

Default Re: [Game] Generate a Space Trader Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question
How to ships get around a solar system? What's the minimum range for a jump?
Answer
Shallow Jumps

Actually, shallow jumps were invented first, as they only utilise a 5 space manifold. However, in this regime, gravity works a lot differently- I'd have to show you a whole bunch of tensor equations to properly explain it though. Basically, you can't jump to a body of mass, the closest you can get is around 6 radii. Secondly, at about 0.1 ly from a stellar mass (6000 AU) you hit this hard boundary that just sends you back where you came from. Again, don't ask me to explain it, it's a consequence of a 5 dimensional cotangent bundle breaching an orthogonal.

Fortunately though, these jumps only use about 1/10th the fuel of a deep jump through 7d space- so about 30 jumps per fuel tank.

And there is no minimum range, really, you could jump 10m backwards if you wanted and if you could calculate the launch solution.

Quote:
I choose A for the multichoice question
It is the easiest-to-game solution- is that why you chose it, or for effects on the setting? We can see what a couple of other people think too.

Quote:
Name idea
The Interstellar Drift (It may not be a good name but it got stuck in my head)
Not so bad. Better than my idea, which was none.

Question 34
Villain

Did you see the episode of 60 Arc Minutes that came in on the last shuttle? It was all about this real bad guy that everyone thinks is horrible, but no one's doing anything about him? What was his name again?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote