View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #32
Andreas

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In the case of someone with Honesty or Law-abiding accidently speeding and noticing it (although really who games at this level of detail?) they can just slow down without having to make a roll to "turn themselves in" because Honesty isn't a complete lack of understanding of how the world actually works (barring other disadvantages like Clueless) and they know that nobody actually cares (and that they would only be wasting law enforcement time to even report "I noticed I was slightly above the speed limit, and then immediately slowed down").
I was not just referring to accidental violations (though someone with Honesty should probably carefully try to avoid those as well). Most people occasionally decide to exceed the speed limit even in situations where keeping the speed limit wouldn't be dangerous. Even for those who always try to stay within the speed limit when reasonably possible, it is not at all uncommon to consider some other law unimportant enough to be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That link isn't what you think it is.

The specific conditions for the bystander effect are when people are in a large crowd and no one has a clearly defined responsibility relative to the event. Often there is a lot of ambiguity about what the event even is or if it is occurring. Yes people often don't call the police when they hear a scream for help, but they also don't call the police everytime they hear a kid screaming for no real reason. Kids screaming for fun(?) is a way more common occurrence than genuine screams for help (a fact that I have always been unsettled by).

People do tend to react when it is clear to them that they are responsible; in situations where they are reasonably certain they clearly witnessed something, and there isn't anybody else possibly more qualified available.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have fixed the link.

Uncertainty about what is happening can certainly contribute, but the effect persists to a large extent even when it is clear that someone needs help. It is far easier to justify not acting when it seems that everyone around you are doing the same thing. It is true that many tend to act when they have a perceived responsibility (such as being the one who is clearly most able to help) to do so, but Charitable does not require that you have such a responsibility.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote