View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #18
Icelander

Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But those records are after MASSIVE training, almost certain steroid use, in perfect health for that moment, exert themselves beyond what their bodies should be doing, and usually suffer crippling injuries as a matter of course.

I would put world record holders as having one muscle group pushing the limits with others being more in line... as well as having a very high will plus everything lining up perfectly for that moment.
I consider records as example of extreme normal strength coupled with a moment of hysterical strength.
Well, the ability to lift more than 408 lbs. (ST 16 Basic Lift x 8) doesn't seem to be all that rare. And since a ST 16 person cannot move at all while carrying more than 510 lbs., I think the existence of a competetive event where the contestants have to carry 573 lbs. of weight while running kind of disproves ST 16 as a maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
In other words, I don't see how we can really agree on supposedly easily measured strength let alone the other stats.

Or to make a rambling story short, it's all good.
There are enough benchmarks in the ST rules we have to get a pretty good idea of the ST of real people. Yes, real people often vary in strength depending on what they train for, but using WSM strongmen as the basis works well since the various events are very different and call for many athleticism on many levels.