View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #1137
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I wonder how one would develop a Linguistic Talent but limited only to accents. I don't even know if normal Language Talent would or should include it.
Well, ordinary Language Talent makes it cheaper to have Native ability, which is much less accented than Accented ability. I've seen players take Accent perks (Power-Ups 2, p12) for languages that weren't their native one, to help with masquerades. I think I'd be happy as a GM with a Meta-Accent advantage [5] which lets you adopt any accent you're familiar with (8 hours conversation with people who have it) in any language you have at Broken or better.
Quote:
Which also relates to your androgynous voice perk. It's not overt, but men and women talk slightly differently even in English. Not just in pitch, but in word choice and certain intonations.
It's really pretty obvious in Glasgow English. I once encountered a dispensing optician who was clearly from Edinburgh, which is a distinctive accent for women. But her technical vocabulary was pronounced like a Glaswegian man, which sounded very weird. I asked about it, and she'd been one of two women in a cohort of about fifty at college in Glasgow, which made perfect sense.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote