View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #18
Madd Kossack 115

Default Re: A Request For Help On Characters (Plus Lenin-2 Expansion Ideas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Realistically, this is probably a weapon that is Fine (Accurate) and Fine (Reliable) (both HT79), giving +1 each to Acc and Malf, and may also have had excess weight removed (TS70) and various components refitted specifically for Dallin (to justify Weapon Bond, although that isn't strictly necessary - sometimes you just find a weapon that clicks). A barrel with a threaded section to attach a silencer may also be useful. More cinematically, boost that to Very Fine (Accurate) and Very Fine (Reliable), for +2 to each of Acc and Malf, and have the barrel designed to have an integral silencer component to it. Note the rules for silencers are in High Tech, although if you're going highly cinematic you could probably just say silencers work like they do in the movies.
Thanks for all of this info! I am using the GURPS Weapons Wiki, but adjusting the values from whatever rifle I end up choosing to match your recommendations will work just fine!

Quote:
Actually fighting more than one, maybe two if they're poorly coordinated (and/or you can keep them from coming at you at the same time), opponent at a time requires a great deal of skill. I haven't played the Mad Max game, but for similar games I have played, you'd probably need something like skill 16+, maxed out Counterattack Technique, and at least Peripheral Vision, if not 360-Degree Vision. Trained By a Master is probably also necessary, so your Parries don't degrade too rapidly (and so you can hit multiple times in a second, if needed). From the gameplay video of Yakuza, the main character clearly has higher skill and Trained By a Master, and may also have some low-key superpowers on top of that. Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star most certainly has superpowers.
Yeah, I should've remembered Kenshiro would be considered a full-on superhero in our world, and should've just stuck to the Yakuza series for reference of what I considered "high end martial arts skills". The fact that low-end martial arts only helps against one to two opponents tops is a bit of a let-down, although I guess that means the solution to, say, a half-dozen charging Ferals shrieking for blood is letting fly with the Tommy Gun (which, for the record, may or may not become an AH later replacement model with a higher tech level and slightly better stats as a result, i.e. an AK-74 compared to an AK-47)

Quote:
I can't really speak to Gun Fu (don't have that book), but any cinematic sniper worth his scope is likely to have Zen Marksmanship (basically Zen Archery, but for firearms instead of bows). That's a pretty good fit for the breath-control mechanic of Sniper Elite 4, honestly, and you can probably justify having Breath Control stand in for Meditation as a prerequisite. That, alongside high skill, will handle a lot of the "hard target" shots (like shooting a carried grenade). For ricochet shots, or shots that go through multiple targets reliably (as opposed to the occasional fluke), you probably need Power Ups 1: Imbuements.
Besides being the picky sort who has to point out the "Breath Control" mechanic was a staple of the Sniper Elite series, all the way back to the very first game, that is a very cool way to write that ability in! I don't think I'll be doing any ricochet shots (the Sniper Elite series doesn't), but do Imbuements need to be used for punching through 2 to 3 infantry lined up in the bullet's projection, or can that be (slightly) more likely with Armor Piercing ammunition plus Zen Marksmanship?
Madd Kossack 115 is offline   Reply With Quote