View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #15
Madd Kossack 115

Default Re: A Request For Help On Characters (Plus Lenin-2 Expansion Ideas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Sentry removal is a key element of the Fairburn-based WWII commando Style from Martial arts. Without getting heavily into Styles you'd want Stealth, Knife and the Targeted Attack (Knife Thrust-Neck) Technique for Knife.

Come to think of it Martial Arts is where Targeted Attacks are first spelled out. The short version is that they are Hard Techniques as explained in Basic where you can buy off half (round up) of the To Hit Penalty for attacking a specific body part. You'd buy off 3 pts of the -5 pt for attacking the Neck with a Knife and 4 of the -7 for Guns(Rifle) to the Skull.
That all makes sense to me. I did consider having Dallin also be skilled with a hatchet (as something he picked up from some Tribals he met during his travels), but I can set that aside as a maybe while I work on everything else.

Quote:
Your examples of sniper tricks are Cinematic by Gurps standards. Tactical shooting would be for people who are formally trained Military or SWAT team snipers and who don't do anything with their rifles except put holes in people.
Well, where I'm going with this story, I may end up going for a Cinematic campaign after all. If that's the case, of the "Styles" you listed earlier (Army of One and Ultimate Shootist), which one is more limited to "Improbable Aiming Skills"?

Quote:
Building a special sniper rifle from a video game is pretty advanced stuff and not a thing I would do at start. The TL8 Sniper Rifle in Basic is quite a good one.
I was actually planning on using the GURPS Weapons Wiki as a source (either the USA Weapons of World War 2, or the Rifles of World War 3 sections. I guess I'd pick out which of the New Vegas unique rifles would best fit Dallin's character, then figure out which rifle it would best fit from the list (although based on the looks of some of the Wild West-inspired ones, I'm starting to think I may need the Rifles of World War 1 or even Rifles of the Old West sections if I end up choosing them).

Quote:
One thing that might not be totally obvious is that just because you use multiple types of Guns you don't have to buy multiple Guns skills. The part about "Defaulting at -2" means that if you put a lot of pts into Guns (Rifle) your skill in Guns (Pistol) and so on is never worse than 2 pts lower than your Skill in Rifle.
Thanks for the tip! These "other gun skills are 'just' -2 from the primary skill" rules do help with adapting Karl Fairburne's style in particular, in that he's a master with a sniper rifle, and "only mostly good" with his pistol and SMG, with the later two being used for more situational encounters.
Madd Kossack 115 is offline   Reply With Quote