View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Default Re: A Request For Help On Characters (Plus Lenin-2 Expansion Ideas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Kossack 115 View Post
I was wondering if this could be considered a decent representation of Dan Fairbairn's style - namely, taking an unaware sentry, and ending him as quickly and brutally as possible?

I'd think that Tactical Shooting is the closest bet for me, as Dallin isn't exactly a "trick shooter" outside of his sniper rifle, with the fanciest "tricks" it does (besides targeting vital organs) being shooting through 2 to 3 enemies in line of a bullet's path, or shooting environmental objects that cause more damage than a bullet alone (vehicle gas caps and fuel lines, grenades still attached to a soldier's belt, winches that can drop a pallet of crates on a poor sap's head, etc.). If there's an "I never miss my aim" style, that's probably the one I'll take.
Sentry removal is a key element of the Fairburn-based WWII commando Style from Martial arts. Without getting heavily into Styles you'd want Stealth, Knife and the Targeted Attack (Knife Thrust-Neck) Technique for Knife.

Come to think of it Martial Arts is where Targeted Attacks are first spelled out. The short version is that they are Hard Techniques as explained in Basic where you can buy off half (round up) of the To Hit Penalty for attackign a specific body part. You'd buy off 3 pts of the -5 pt for attacking the Neck with a Knife and 4 of the -7 for Guns(Rifle) to the Skull.

Your examples of sniper tricks are Cinematic by Gurps standards. Tactical shooting would be for people who are formally trained Military or SWAT team snipers and who don't do anything with their rifles except put holes in people.

Building a special sniper rifle from a video game is pretty advanced stuff and not a thing I would do at start. The TL8 Sniper Rifle in Basic is quite a good one.

One thing that might not be totally obvious is that jsut because you use multiple types of Guns you don't have to buy multiple Guns skills. The part about "Defaulting at -2" means that if you put aot of pts into Guns (Rifle) your skill in Guns (Pistol) and so on is never worse than 2 pts lower than your Skill in Rifle.