View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
weevis

Default Re: [Spaceships] Interesting Piloting Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Would not make any sense. Ships with negative handling have worse maneuverability. It's not that they maneuver differently and require alternate approaches, they just can't do the same things.

There's also nothing special about handling 0, so there's no logic to being able to buy off negative handling specifically.
I really appreciate all replies and I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult. But in game terms I think a negative modifier to handling is not implementing a rule that some ships "just can't do" some things. Indeed a negative modifier to handling is implementing a rule where you are welcome to try but you are less likely to succeed. (Seems like a good use for a technique.) Whether this is realistic for large spaceships is another question.

Maybe I'm misreading the rules, but the fact that something is or is not negative also doesn't seem to matter. It looks like I can even make techniques with positive modifiers to the original skills (that is, easy ones) within the existing techniques rules. A technique is just "a specific application of a skill."

Back to realism: It looks like you can apparently do aerial acrobatics in large passenger jetliners but it is foolish and difficult. There are a fair number of pilot discussions online about hypothetically doing aerial acrobatics with large passenger airliners (it's great that pilots are thinking about these things... I guess). These support both views: Some things may just be impossible, but many other things are "the skill of the pilot" in making a craft do something unwise that it was never designed for. In other words, realism appears to allow plenty of room for piloting techniques involving specific aircraft sizes.

But I'm no pilot!
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote