View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #32
jbalsle

Default Re: Transhuman Space in Infinite Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This is a case of Has No Sense of Proportion. Error correction doesn't work like that (in the real world).
You know this. So, incidentally, do I. But perhaps in his game world, it does, or perhaps there's something special about AI -- maybe it's Super-Turing or something similar, that means if you beam AI, you risk it not arriving at its destination in one piece. You may not like it, and neither may I, but hey, if you don't, there are ... err, at least a few other THS games you can play in. But let's not nitpick the heck out of this guy's game saying how impossible it would be. He wants his games to be soft. Let him have what he wants.

Quote:
Changes like the one mentioned have consequences. ...trying to enforce all AIs (and Ghosts) to be hardware robots will break (read: change) the setting in ways that take tens or hundreds of pages to analyse and summarise.
And this is the crux of what I was trying to say, just without the use of the loaded word 'break'. It's his game, tis all I was saying. Lets help him with that analysis and summarization, and help him build something that can foster a Sense of Disbelief in players so he can go about doing the main thing we all come to this hobby for -- having fun.
jbalsle is offline   Reply With Quote