View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Modern Drone/UAV Operation Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinX View Post
I've been halfheartedly working on an article about drones and drone-riggers, building off of the same foundation as One With The Ship. It's been on back-burner forever, since I haven't played a game where it's come up in a while, so I'm actually kinda hoping someone beats me to the punch.
How about you write it up - I'll use it in a game and we can get that article a-working. :-)

I could even get one of my gunbunny players to write up examples of the drones themselves for it. Maybe aim at TL8 specifically - maybe with some higher TL info?

Quote:
Anyway, I concur with those who say to use Piloting of the appropriate kind if you're in direct control (Ultralight for most small drones, maybe High-Performance Aircraft for something larger like the Predator) or Electronics Op (I'd probably go with with Surveillance in most cases) if it has on-board flight control. This could be simplified in more cinematic campaigns with a new specialization, Piloting (Drones).
Hmmmm. I like that.

Quote:
Other systems are controlled essentially as if flying in a cockpit ... Artillery or Gunner for weapons, Electronics Op (Sensors at least, plus any other systems it has).
Ugh. I totally forgot about weapon skills - that would have sucked for the player and been a totally uncool moment in game. My eyes somehow glazed past theothersarah's post for some reason. >_<

Quote:
Repair skills by type: Electronics Repair for sensors, comm (control) systems, etc; Mechanic for the same specialization as Pilot; Armoury for weapon systems, etc.
This is useful. Thank you.

Quote:
Design skill could be its own specialization of Engineering (Drones), or more realistically, a combination of Computers, Electronics, Robotics, and the appropriate kind of drive.
I was thinking of using Engineer (Vehicle Type).

Quote:
Anyway, hope that helps. Drop me a line if you'd like to discuss other ideas ... I'd much rather see a good article soon, than wait for me to come back around to it.
You know, I'd love to add you to my cadre of authors in my Pyramid Mentoring Group. You've got a lot to offer to new writers IMHO.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote