View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Orochi-art

Default Re: off hand weapon training perk and technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
In a PbP, I had a player who took broadsword to 13, then put 5 points in dual-weapon training and 1 point in off-hand weapon training perk. For 6 cp he now can fight with 2 swords and effectively has a double attack.

He was kind enough to remove it after I told him that I thought it would make his character overpowered compared to the others, but it still bugs me.
He is hardly over-powered.

Basic Set, p. 417 Dual Weapon Attack
You must use All-out-Attack (Double) which means no active defense. If you use Attack maneuver you gain -4 penalty on primary hand and -8 on off hand attack. (In case of your player his skill drops from Broadsword -13 to Broadsword-9 and Broadsword-5.)

Dual-Weapon Training cost 5 points and Off-hand Training costs 5 points. Both DWT and OHWT are bought per skill. Not really cheap.

If this is a problem you could let him have a less effective skills. DWT and OHWT only buys half of penalties. So you have -2 on primary weapon and -4 with off-hand weapon. He will still be able to use two weapons but at a price. He is sacrificing something to get the benefits.

Quote:
Why wouldn't everyone do this? (Except for when it doesn't fit the character concept.)
Using two weapons is nice but you could spend those CP in different, more useful ways.

For example: You could increase your shield skill by 2.
Shield gives you DB on all active defense rolls while a weapon allows you only parry and very few weapons grant bonus on parry.
Shield also gives you DB against muscle-powered ranged attacks.
Shield grants cover.

Quote:
However, what I understand from its description is that it replaces the off-hand weapon training from the basic set because the latter was underpowered. If it replaces the technique, isn't the technique a kind of 'bug' in the basic set, or does it still have a function?
Problem begins when you want to have multiple ways to implement your dual-weapon style. As I said DWT and OHWT must be bought per skill. You want Rapier/Knife pay up to 10 points. Rapier/Rapier another 10 points. Rapier/Buckler 10 points. This is 15 CP in just OHWT or you could buy Ambidexterity for 5 CP.

Some people don't want to have ambidexterity because idea is they put hard work, blood, sweat and tears to be able to preform dual-style.

That is why they made it a perk. A person who wants to play a swashbuckler is able to do without the need to cash out 15-30 CP on OHWT.

Last edited by Orochi-art; 06-12-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Orochi-art is offline   Reply With Quote