Thread: [RPM] Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
Is there anything I'm missing if I rule that mental spells are resisted by Will and physical spells are resisted by HT?
Not really, as long as you're consistent. Just expect some arguments from players if they come up against a foe with especially lopsided stats; e.g., if a bad guy has high Will, low HT, and you rule that this is a mental spell.

Quote:
The real problem that I have with it is that it's hard to teach players. That's because it's so counter intuitive. For the first roll, the pluses are essentially negatives...ok...but then for the 2nd roll it's reversed.

I understand that it's a method to simulate odds but I don't really get why something more simple and game friendly couldn't be thought up. Any explanation or thoughts are welcome!
Interestingly, my original rule was just that: the signs stayed the same for both rolls, and on the first roll, your spell critically failed on a low roll instead of a high one.

The playtesters overwhelmingly hated it, because they felt that it wasn't "GURPSy" to have a spell fail on a low roll. So I changed it to make it more intuitive. Ironic, eh? :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 08-10-2016 at 10:31 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote