View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #36
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: differing power levels within a party: The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
the main purpose of luck is to wipe out critical failures
I've never heard that before. I use it mainly for either offensive purposes, such as landing an attack (maybe trying for a crit if it's important) or a spell (I need to succeed by more!), or for defensive purposes, like on a parry or a failed resistance roll. Only rarely do I use it for critical failures. Normal failures, sure, quite often, but critical ones? Not more than regular failures, I'd say. A failed defense roll is a failed defense roll. That axe doesn't care whether your head is in the way because you only slightly failed.

Quote:
"Doing crazy things" is too broad for higher purpose. It has to be more specific than that, since "doing crazy things" is what players do very often.
I must be interpreting this very differently from you. Look at the example for Daredevil: charging gunmen with automatic weapons. That's crazy. That's not normal adventurer behavior. In all my many years of gaming, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that nuts. And those are the sorts of things that Daredevil says its bonus applies to: the exceptionally insane. Because it's a realistic advantage, meant to mimic some real people. Would you charge men firing at you with automatic weapons? I have a hard time thinking of anything crazier than that. I've seen characters confront gods in a way that was crazier, but I can't think of a whole lot in a realistic game where there could be some chance of success that is crazier than a banzai charge.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 05-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote