View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
Rupert

Default Re: Minimum Skill Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I wouldn't call any of these figures a "minimum" in the usual sense. Still, when I'm the GM, these figures would establish a cutoff below which I'd start looking more closely at the character to see whether the player had sacrificed skills to load up on attributes, advantages, and all the rest. I'd certainly have a lot of trouble with a dungeon delver who had only around 10 skills, or a supposed international man of mystery with maybe 20.
Back in 3e, with the default 100+40+5 point builds and the age based cap on points in skills, I'd also look askance at someone with less than their character's age in skill points. In my experience, most PCs had around 20-25 points in skills, and most skills had 1/2 or 1 point in them with only a couple of (usually combat) skills with more than that. Thus they would've had around 15 skills.

These days, I'm running a game that's gone from 150-point characters to 350-400 points for a new character and the PCs still in play from the early days run at 1000-1150 points. The number of skills ranges from 66 on the lowest point character (470 points, 136 in skills) to 90-100 for the higher point characters (with a mean of ~6 points per skill). The players still run into situations where their characters are lacking skills they want them to have.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote