View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Varyon

Default Re: Working out some Superscience Space Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
0.3 AU per day is fast, over 300 miles per second, so it does not majorly inconvenience a society unless the hyperspace shadow is much further than 5.1 AU.
As noted in the original post, the point at which one can transition to (and from, although I don't think I explicitly stated that) is the helioshock, which is 90 AU from the star. That is, of course, quite a good deal further than 5.1 AU out (5.1 AU was the arbitrary point chosen to change over in the two-speed system, but I'd rather prefer a system where speed increases constantly the further you get from the star).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Anything moving that fast is impossible to target with any ballistic attack unless it also possesses a boost drive, as the target is just moving too fast, meaning that your attacks are beam weapons or boost equipped missiles.
Combat in the Harpyia setting is primarily with superscience blasters (a bit more akin to plasma weapons than particle accelerators), which have slow projectiles with short ranges (at least for space). Combat is not done at the boost drive speeds, in no small part because having boost drives that aren't explicitly cooperating with each other within a certain range interdicts the boost aspect, slowing things down to much slower speeds (the K-N drives used by capital ships get performance roughly comparable to WWII-era battleships, while the aether drives used by fighters get performance roughly comparable to WWII-era airplanes). Think of it as fast-moving counters on a very large map, and when two counters meet, things zoom in for some dogfighting.