View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [GURPS concepts] Parry and Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Some of these answers appear to be missing my point a bit, so I'll try to clarify. I know the definitions that appear in the rules. I'm asking about the rationale for them and how that rationale applies to cases not covered. For example, could you 'Block' with a melee net the same as a cloak? Could you parry with a tiny little buckler if you had a second one after 'Blocking' with the other? (If not, why not?) Why can't you Block with a cestus? ...
I don't know GURPS' reason, but in Sagatafl, it's there because I find precise jargon desirable. A Block is with a shield, a Parry always with a weapon, a Deflect is effectively the same as a Block or Parry but done with unarmed, and a Dodge is when you move your body out of the way to achieve the same goal as a Block, Parry or Deflect (reduce or if possible nullify the incoming damage).

I find it useful to have these game-mechanical terms so that I can talk precisely about the effects of specific combat trainings (to differentiate various cultural martial arts styles) or Enchantments.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote