View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
cosmicfish

Default Re: Gear rich, money poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd suggest something equivalent to a Vow of poverty, but kicked over to a metagame level. 'Person who has a crazy valuable item but can neither profit from it nor cash it in' seems pretty much unfounded in reality, so going straight to fiction-level props seems appropriate.
If the value to the person is greater than the value to the world (whatever value that is), then why sell it? In some cases it may be sentimental ("This was your father's lightsaber"), in other cases it may allow a lifestyle that would otherwise be unattainable to the owner (Mal could not live as he wanted without Serenity, even if he could probably make a lot more money by selling it), or it may enable the only career that the individual wants or can pursue (a MechWarrior selling his extremely valuable battlemech might never get another job again!) - while I gave fictional examples, I do not think that they are unfounded in reality.

And regardless - I am getting a lot of narrative help on why someone would or would not have a certain value of wealth with certain paired disadvantages, and that is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a rule that allows a character to have Wealth at one level but starting equipment at a substantially different level - WITHOUT adding disadvantages other than those that negate specifically and solely those advantages bundled into Wealth. I (and my players) will take care of the narrative.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote